In this article we are going to breakdown some essential boxing exercises and their purpose, broken down into 3 categories: Strength, Conditioning, General Boxing.
The purpose of the strength exercises in boxing are to build your muscles in order to deliver powerful punches and also take them.
- The Burpee- Burpees are a great full body workout, it strengthens your core, shoulders and improves explosive movements and stamina.
- The Push Up- Push-ups in many variations strengthen your chest, shoulders, arms, core and overall upper body strength.
- The Squat– Squats in many variations strengthen your legs, lower core muscles, improve explosiveness and give you a strong base.
- The Sit Up– Sit ups and many variations tighten your abs and strengthen your core.
- The Mountain Climber– Mountain climbers are another full body exercise strengthening your shoulders, core and conditioning your legs.
The purpose of the conditioning exercises are to help you outlast your opponent by improving stamina.
- Jumping Jacks– is a full body cardio exercise.
- Wind Sprints– Increase heart rate burning fat and builds fast twitch muscles.
- Long Distance Running– Strengthens your heart and builds endurance.
- Biking– Improves cardio and leg endurance.
- Jumping Rope– Improves footwork and works entire body burning calories.
- Shadow Boxing– Works entire body building technique and coordination for throwing punches.
- Speed Bag– Improves timing, reflexes and strengthens arms and shoulders.
- Heavy Bag– Builds strength and stamina of entire body.
These are some of the basic boxing exercises and their purpose as you continue training you will discover more exercises and different methods of training.
Train Like a Champion